Tuesday, May 22, 2007

THE JOYS (AND HUNGER) OF MOTHERHOOD


For all of you moms out there who have nursed a child, do you remember how much you could eat when you were nursing? How all of those calories were used up producing milk? It was magic, eat as much as you want and the pounds still just fell off. Well imagine how many calories you would need to eat to produce enough milk for 8 babies? Tiga normally eats 3 cups of dog food a day. Now she is up to 8 cups a day with a dollop of yogurt at each meal. She also gets to finish up the leftovers after the puppies eat. Sounds like a lot, but apparently, she is still hungry.

I received a call from my neighbor the other day asking me if I was missing a dog. Well I hadn't let any dogs outside so I was pretty sure my dogs were all at home. I checked the house and sure enough the back door had blown open and Tiga was missing. My neighbor, Leslie, had been working in her office when she heard really loud eating noises coming from the kitchen. She went to check it out and found her two dogs sitting politely, staring at their food dishes where Tiga was in the process of devouring all of their dog food. Apparently she had let herself out of our house, crossed the street and found their sliding glass door open. She just walked in and helped herself. That was my first hint that she might need more food.

Since that day she has become a counter surfer. This is a new behaviour for her and I am afraid it might not disappear when the puppies leave. She has eaten a batch of chocolate chip cookies that Katie made to welcome her brother home from college. A few were saved so Mike at least got to try them. She ate a pork loin Steve had marinated for 24 hours and grilled to perfection. She didn't actually eat the whole thing but we decided since she has been cleaning up after her puppies (i.e. eating poop) we probably shouldn't try to salvage any of it. Another batch of chocolate chip cookies was partially devoured. And for her finale, she polished off an undisclosed number of dark chocolate fudge brownies. This last event caused a 2:00 am the trip to the emergency vet where she was pronounced okay, just really nauseous. Just like a woman, going for all of the chocolate.

It took us a while to catch on but we have nothing left on our counters for her to get into. I am also upping her food intake to 10 cups per day. I have a feeling it won't be an issue weaning the puppies from Tiga, but it will be a huge problem weaning Tiga from all of this extra food.

Tomorrow I will get back to the real reason you all tune in - puppy stories and pictures. Here is a teaser for you. The last four puppies have been named - Midge, Stitch, Beckham, and Ellen. I'll let you ponder those names for a day and fill you in tomorrow on the reasoning behing them. Feel free to comment with any guesses you might have.

1 comment:

Speak(er) said...

ok, now that's totally unfair. Are there really women who can eat all they want when they're nursing and still lose weight? If that had worked for me, I probably would still be having kids.

Here's my stab at the names. Midge - this could be a girl dog that acts like Barbie's sidekick. The problem is, I don't remember any of the other girls being named Barbie. Stitch - this must be the pup who already knows the cue "Get Help", as in "a stitch in time saves nine". Beckham - Clearly this is some sort of reference to "bend it like Beckham" - he must be the litter's soccer star. Finally, Ellen. This one is a poser. She could be named after my older sister, Ellen - and thus is the perfect older sitter, but then you don't know my older sister so that won't work. Perhaps a reference to Ellen DeGeneres - and her American Express commercials where she is great at delegating tasks to her animal friends (my favorite is sending the tortoise to Starbucks).

I can't wait to read the other comments and their slant on these names.